The Magnet Foundation is using a new platform for donations created by alumnus Holman Gao '08: BoostMySchool
At the summer 2016 meeting of the Magnet Foundation Board, three grants were approved:
- $1,000 to support the Quiz Bowl team's trip to the National Championship Tournament in Dallas, TX.
- $320 to purchase zebrafish from BioEyes for Ms. Sloe's Genetics class.
- Up to $2,500 to purchase and install new chemical storage cabinets.
The Board also elected new officers:
- President: Eileen Steinkraus
- Vice-President: Ted Jou
- Secretary: Sharon Goodall
- Treasurer: Dan Shepherdson
The Magnet Foundation is working on a few ongoing projects:
- Magnet Pipeline Project: The Art of Problem Solving is planning to open an Academy in Montgomery County in 2017, and the Magnet Foundation is working to partner with them to provide quality math education to potential Magnet students.
- NIH Surplus Equipment: A group of Magnet parents is visiting the NIH warehouse in Gaithersburg over the summer to look for surplus equipment for the Magnet
- Distinguished Alumni: Nominations are now open for the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award.