A few Blair students won exceptional individual awards this spring:
- Magnet senior Sandra Yan and CAP senior Eli Okun were named 2011 Presidential Scholars.
- Andrew Das Sarma '11 is one of five students on the U.S. Physics Team. The team will represent the United States at the 2011 International Physics Olympiad Competition in July.
- Alexander Briese '11 won a Bronze Medal at the USA Biology Olympiad.
Many groups of magnet students and Blair teams won other awards:
- Blair's team won first place in the senior division of the ACSL Invitational All-Star Contest
in New Haven, CT. The team members were Jason Hyun, Andrew Lu, Lisha
Ruan, Audrey Shi, and Charlie Pasternak. The intermediate team won
third place, and the members of that team were Arvind Kannan, Michelle
Noh, Jessica Shi, Scott Wu, and Charles Yin.
- Blair's team finished in second place at the National Science Bowl.
The members of the team were Andrew Das Sarma (captain), Anexander
Briese, Diwakaran Ilangovan, Sandra Yan, and Samuel Zbarsky.
- At the Montgomery County Science Fair, Shilpa Kannan won
first place in the biochemistry category and was the second runner up
for the ISEF Award. Ann Choi, Andrew Das Sarma, Ajay Kannan, Lori
Kaufman, Maureen Lei, Jinhie Skarda, Ziyao Wang, and Justin Yu also won
- Andrew Das Sarma '11 finished in first place at the 2011 U.S. Physics
Bowl Competition in May. Sophomore Samuel Zbarsky and freshman
Alexander Bourzutschky finished in 4th and 10th place, respectively, in
the Division 1 competition for first-year physics students. (pdf)
- Blair magnet teams won first and third place at the Montgomery County Envirothon. Members of the first place team were Enoch Hsiao (captain), Andrew Lu, Nina Jessica Lu, Nathan Ng, and Siddhant Nanda. Members of the third place team were Sharon Chen (captain), Kiran Matharu, Vivienne Chen, Tatyana Gubin, and Lisha Ruan.
- Blair's Boys' Varsity Volleyball team won the 2011 Montgomery County Championship. Fifteen of the sixteen players are magnet students.
- Junior Eszter Offertaler, a member of the Blair Robotics Team, was interviewed at the U.S. First Robotics Competition