It has been a busy few months for the Magnet Foundation.
In late March, the Washington Post published An Academic Dynamo Under Stress: Budget Cuts, Faculty Turnover Test Montgomery Blair's Math-Science Magnet
This quarter, the Magnet Foundation provided funding for several Magnet activities:
- $1000 to support the ARML team
- $2100 to support the ACSL All-Star Teams
- $222 to fund the Physics Olympiad exam
- Up to $600 to fund the Envirothon teams
The deadline for new grant applications is June 30th. Apply online here
Mr. Bunday attended the NCSSSMST
Professional Conference in March.
The Foundation recently became more active in meeting with the Board of Education and other Montgomery County officials:
- On April 28, 2009, a Board member testified before the Board of Education: http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/boe/meetings/archive/2009-0428.shtm
- Board members have met with:
- Peter Ostrander, MCPS Accelerated and Enriched Instruction (AEI) Supervisor of Secondary Programs
- Laura Berthiaume, Board of Education, District 2
- Phil Kauffman, Board of Education, at-large
- Staff of Phil Andrews, County Councilmember, District 3
In May, the Foundation invited Sherrie Emoto to join the Board. Sherrie Emoto is the mother of one alumnus and a current sophomore in the Magnet program. She has volunteered extensively for the Magnet Program, helping to organize volunteers at Magnet Arts Night and other events.