Magnet students have won many awards and competitions in the first few months of 2017, and have qualified for several national competitions in late April and May:
Science Bowl, Math Team, Computer Team, and Quiz Bowl:
- The Science Bowl Team won first and second place at the Maryland Science Bowl
(@MrPham_at_MBHS). Michael Yin, Noah Singer, Jamie Vinson, Alex Miao, and Elliot Kienzle will compete at the National Science Bowl on April 27-May 1 (Press release from science.energy.gov: pdf).
- The Ocean Science Bowl Team won first place at the Chesapeake Bay Bowl: Seniors Lara Shonkwiler, Jamie Vinson, Alex Miao, Emma Jin, and Juliana Lu-Yang will represent the region at the National Ocean Sciences Bowl on April 20-23.
- Blair's team (Jamie Vinson, Eshan Tewari, Siddharth Taneja, Andrew Komo, and Annie Zhao) is in the finals of Moody's Mega Math Challenge (@wrose). They will compete for prizes ranging from $5,000 to $20,000 on April 24 in New York (bethesdamagazine.com).
- The Math team finished in 4th place at the Harvard-MIT Math Tournament; Sophomore Daniel Zhu finished 6th place overall individually, and two juniors, Dilhan Salgado and Guangqi Cui, also finished in the top 50.
- The Math Team finished in 4th place at the Carnegie Mellon Informatics and Mathematics Competition; Junior Guangqi Cui finished in 1st place for Computer Science and 3rd place for Combinatorics, while Sophomore Daniel Zhu finished in 2nd place for Algebra
- The Quiz Bowl team (Anson Berns, Katherine Lei, Ben Miller, and Ian Rackow) won the Johns Hopkins University Blue Jay Bowl! (@jrackow1). They will compete in the National Championship Tournament May 26-28.
- The It's Academic Team (Ian Rackow, Anson Berns, and Ben Miller) won its first playoff match (@blairprincipal) and will be competing in the semifinals on April 22nd - the first playoff match will air on NBC4 on May 6th at 10:30am.
- Juniors George Klees, Noah Singer, Artemis Tosini, and Andrew Komo took 2nd place at the Cyber Skyline Metropolis Cybersecurity Competition at UMD in February.
- The Computer Team won the VCU High School Programming Contest! (@blairmagnet)
- The Science Olympiad Team finished in 8th place at the Maryland State Finals.
More Headlines and Recognition: