National Science Bowl:
Blair won the 2016 National Science Bowl!
The team was coached by Mr. Pham and included Seniors Eric Lu and Arnold Mong, Juniors Alex Miao and Jamie Vinson, and Sophomore Elliot Kienzle (WJLA) (Washington Post)
Many students have won awards and honors in the past few months:
- Senior Amanda Wessel won second place at the Junior Science and Humanities Symposium (JSHS) hosted at Georgetown University on March 10-11, 2016, qualifying her for the National Symposium (Silverchips). Candia Gu also finished in the top five and presented a poster at National JSHS.
- At the Montgomery County Science Fair, Daniel Schaffer won a First Place Award in Biology and Mehana Daftary won a First Place Award in Chemistry! In addition, Patrick Chao won Second Place in Physics, Rona Yu and Ethan Chen won Third Place Awards in Biology, Sarah Gao and Gianna-Jade del Vecchio won Honorable Mention in Biology, and Sidney Geertsema won Honorable Mention in Physics. (pdf)
- Sophomores George Klees, Andrew Komo, Zan Xu, and Anthony Li won first place in the second round of CyberSkyline Metropolis 2016, a Cybersecurity competition at UMD.
- Juniors Jeffrey Ge, Alex Ma, Simin Li, and Caleb Robelle were named Regional Finalists in the 2016 Toshiba/NSTA Exploravision Competition and were third among Grade 10-12 teams nationally. Eight other groups from Blair won Honorable Mention. (@MsBosseBlair)
- Blair's team won a $5,000 prize at Moody's Mega Math Challenge. The team was seniors Raymond Lin, Victoria Tsai, and Ethan Holland, and juniors Jamie Vinson and Eshan Tewari. (@wrose31)
- Blair won 8th place nationally in the National Ocean Science Bowl. The team was senior Arnold Mong, and juniors Emma Jin, Alex Miao, Lara Shonkwiler, and Jamie Vinson. (@MrPham_at_MBHS)
- Blair won first place at the UMD Chemathon! The students on the winning team were Magnet seniors Patrick Chao and Amy Li, CAP senior Caitlin Miller, Magnet junior Juliana Lu-Yang, CAP junior Derek Lamb and STEM junior Maya Smith. (@ihartblair)
- Blair won fourth place at the Maryland Science Olympiad! Team members were seniors Ramya Durvasula, Amy Li, Patrick Chao, Aleksandra Dagunts, and Josephine Yu, juniors Juliana Lu-Yang and Simin Li, sophomores Serena Debesai, Rahul Jain, Mengming Luo, Benjamin Mourad, Wendy Shi, and Abigail Lo, and freshmen Cindy Liu and Mindy Burton. (@ihartblair)
Interplanetary News: Thanks to MIT Lincoln Laboratory and the Society for Science and the Public, a minor planet in the asteroid belt, number 32533, will be named Tranpham in honor of Mr.Pham. (@MrPham_at_MBHS)