Since this is the first edition of the Magnet Foundation newsletter, we missed a lot of alumni news over the years.Distinguished Alumni:In Memoriam:Recent News:Reunions:
Highlights by Class Year:
- Class of '89: Planning is underway for the 20-year reunion for the MBHS Class of '89. Please visit http://www.blairblazer89.com/ for more information.
- Class of '99: The 10-year reunion for the MBHS Class of '99 is planned for June 5-6. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Maria (Brunner) Honeycutt '91 has returned to live and work in Silver
Spring full time, and recently started working at NOAA, in the agency's
Climate Program Office (www.climate.noaa.gov) and Coastal Services Center (csc.noaa.gov).
Before that, she spent a year as a science advisor to a U.S. Senator
(through the AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellowship Program).
- Hormuzd Katki '92 is a tenure-track biostatistician and cancer researcher at the National Cancer Institute at NIH.
- Gwen Ngo (aka Phuong Nguyen) '92 is a dentist practicing in Silver Spring and Maple Lawn in Fulton, Maryland.
- In 2004, Rotten Tomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com), co-founded by Patrick Lee '92, was acquired by IGN Entertainment: http://corp.ign.com/articles/527/527275p1.html
- After teaching math at Blair for several years, Ming Tomayko '93 earned
her M.Ed. and Ph.D. in curriculum and instruction from the University
of Maryland College Park and is now an Assistant Professor at Towson
- Miranda Mockrin '95 earned her PhD in
Ecology and Evolution at Columbia '08 and now works for the US Forest
Service in Washington, DC.
- Gautam Mukunda '97 was Admin. of Russian Investment Symposium and
Program Coordinator of the Kommersant Program on Executive Education in
Russia, a Business Analyst at McKinsey & Co., and he founded The
Two Rivers Group, an independent consulting firm. He is currently a
Ph.D. candidate at MIT in Political Science with focus in International
- Melissa Hao '97 graduated with a B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science from
MIT and is now a software engineer for VMWare in Palo Alto, CA
- Emily Yanisko '98 is teaching math at Parkdale High School in
Riverdale, MD. She is also pursuing a PhD in Education at the
University of Maryland, College Park and is serving as a member of the
Board of Directors for the Magnet Foundation.
- Fred Irby '98 graduated from Florida A&M's 5-year MBA program and
is currently working as a commercial real estate appraiser in
- Jennifer Lin '00 is working as a web developer in Bethesda, MD. She
received her bachelor's degree from Carnegie Mellon in Computer
Science, concentrating in Robotics.
- Jon Simon '00 is a Physics graduate student at Harvard. He graduated with a B.S. in Physics from Caltech.
- Samantha Henig '02 is an editor for Double X, an online magazine aimed at women that
Slate is launching in the spring.
- Kelly McQuighan '02 graduated from Rice with a BA in Physics. She
taught physics for one year at Exeter Academy and now teaches physics
and chemistry at Milton Academy in Milton, MA.
- Elizabeth Green '02 graduated Magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa from
Harvard and worked as education reporter for USNWR. She now covers
education for the New York Sun.
- Emma Simson '03 graduated from the University of Maryland, College Park
with a major in Government & Politics and minor in International
Development & Conflict Resolution. Currently, she teaches high
school Social Studies with Teach for America in Prince George's County.
- Kevin Fang '03 graduated summa cum laude from Duke University in 2007
and joined Teach For America. He is currently a 9th grade biology
teacher and 9th grade team leader at a small
school in SW Atlanta, Georgia.
- James "Morgan" Pitts '03 is the Research Director of the Presidential Climate Action Project.
- Rebecca Zarin Pass '04 is a senior at Stanford studying climate change
and energy technologies. She is hoping to stay one more year to get a
masters degree in Mechanical Engineering with a focus on energy systems.
- Kevin Kaitian Liu '04 graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy and was
commissioned U.S. Marine Corps. He is now pursuing a masters degree at
- Elliott Wolf '04 graduated from Duke with a degree in Mathematics after
serving as Student Government President in 2006-07. He is working in
Boston in finance until he can pay for law school.
- Alexander May '05 is currently a senior at Carnegie Mellon University,
studying Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Biomedical
Engineering. He has been accepted to CMU's fifth year robotics masters
program and is waiting to hear back from graduate programs in
mechanical Engineering and Robotics.
- Margot Pass '06 is a junior at Stanford majoring in Human Biology and planning to go to medical school.
- Yiran Xia '06 is majoring in Film Studies at the University of Virginia.