The Magnet transitioned to its fourth coordinator in the late summer, but students continued to win awards:
- June 23, 2009: Andrew Das Sarma '11, Anand Oza '10, and Rohan
Puttagunta '10 were the top-scoring high school team at the Teragrid
- July 14, 2009: Michael Cohen '10 won a Silver Medal at the Central European Olympiad in Informatics.
- July 19, 2009: Jonathan Gootenberg '09 won a Gold Medal at the 2009 International Biology Olympiad held in Tsukuba, Japan. Team USA won four gold medals, finishing in first place among all countries participating.
- September 17, 2009: Montgomery Blair High School has 53 National Merit Semifinalists this year.
- September 2009: Research papers submitted to the Yau High School Mathematics Award Competition by Jacob Hurwitz and the team of Nils Molina,
Anand Oza and Rohan Puttagunta have been accepted for the second round
of the competition. These Magnet seniors will travel to Los Angeles in
October to make oral presentations about their projects. Winners from
this round will be invited to a final round of presentations in Beijing
There have been many transitions for the Magnet over the summer of 2009: